Tuesday 1 April 2014

Bonnet in pictures

Since my last post we haven't taken anything else off the car. We are currently preparing items to send to the zinc platers and chrome platers. The bonnet spring mechanism is proving to be a pain as they are quite rusty in some areas but I'll hopefully finish them off today. We've also restored the horns and repainted them (gloss black as original). Today I'm planning to put the final coat on the horns, finish off the bonnet spring mechanisms and clean up the anchor points for the seats and other misc pieces off the bonnet and finally label up everything correctly as my OCD is beginning to take over (and I don't want a year to pass and not know what bit goes where)

Here are the pictures of the bonnet I promised you. Turns out my dad's camera had ran out of battery so I currently have no pictures of the two doorcards, mechanisms and glass. I'll take some today and write another update later this evening.

The Mileage


The car before we took the bonnet off. 


Chassis No12. of the 4.2 - Possibly so early Jaguar hadn't even put the 4.2 E-type on the bootlid yet


The majority of rust which we can see is in the boot floor. Could be more underneath the petrol tank too


The bonnet came off! First job was taking off the chrome which proved a little difficult as we had to take off the lights, and glass to get to one of the bolts! We've put the Light cover glass and chromes in a very safe place as it's like £250 just for the pair of headlamp chrome.


Hardly any rust underneath the bonnet



Prime example of minimal rust




Wiring


The saturday was a really nice day so we got everything out in the garden (plus better light to work with)


Starting to come apart


An example of a reference picture for reassembly


Another angle, you can see my mums F-type V6 sneaking into this picture 



Final pictures of the "exploded view" for reference of reassembly




No comments:

Post a Comment