Saturday 19 April 2014

Bodywork

Since the last post we have taken out the IRS, suspension and wheels and prop shaft. We've got the car on the rolling jig and have the rollover jig set up too. Today we evaluated the whole body and discovered a few new places of rust and a lot of brasing (lol) on one of the wing panels and there is evidence to show that the car has had a bump on the rear offside and the owner has replaced the rear wing.

Panels we need to replace are: inner and outer cills both sides, stiffeners, boot floor, half of the floor and transmission tunnel and some other small minor places. The body minus the bonnet is being sent off for sand blasting soon and all of the parts are stored away. This coming week I intend to get going on the IRS and restoring what I can whilst we order new brake discs, coils and possibly shocks depending on the condition of these. Not entirely sure what else needs replacing on the IRS until we have a proper look at it.

I had some trouble today taking the horn push off the steering wheel and accidently broke some of the plastic holding the mechanism in place which we need to find a way of fixing cos they are pretty hard to come by.

As soon as the body comes back from the sand blaster we intend to take it straight to my dads friends garage to begin welding new panels on and taking the body back to its former glory. In the mean time I suspect we will be working on the mechanical parts because thats what I'm really interested in.

I'll sort some pictures tomorrow after I get home from work (found out that the lead for the camera is the same lead for my girlfriends external HDD)

No comments:

Post a Comment